Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Shit I used to listen to: Papa Roach – lovehatetragedy


lovehatetragedy by Papa Roach
Bieberfags and kids born in the late 1990s and 2000s will never know what a cassette audio tape is.  We oldfags who grew up in the 1990s are familiar of this primitive medium of hedonism. Although during the 1990s and early 2000s there were Compact Discs, cassette tapes were still popular back then.  I used to have lots of em and at school me and my mates always exchange - or as we like call it, barter - cassette tapes with mates who like the same kind of music.  When I bought a Red Hot Chilli Peppers cassette album, my friend would buy a Creed album.  We’d exchange the albums after about two weeks of listening. It’s an economic move since you don't have to buy all the albums you wanted to listen to.  The more members of your bartering circle you have, the more you’ll save.


One of the shit I used to listen to was Papa Roach.  The band rose into fame during the late 90s and early 2000s when rock-rap, rap-core and other shit they use to name those things was the "in thing".  In 2002, I bought this shit titled “lovehatetragedy”.  2002 for me was a period of depression, school crushes and heartbreak.  And yeah, also SPM.  It was in Papa Roach’s angst-driven songs that I found escape from the tortures of tuition classes, rote-learning and parents who expect 21 A’s.  The present day-me is now thinking,”Yeah, right..”   Okay, to be honest, my parents never pressured me to get straight A’s or any of that crap.  They were cool, not like the typical Asian parents you see on YouTube.  Racism spotted!


Alright,  here’s a list of songs you can find in the album lovehatetragedy.  “She Loves Me Not” has got to be my favourite track at that time.  Like I said, 2002 was a period of depression and heartbreak. There’s a story behind that song, I guess. What’s that? Hell no!  I’m not gonna tell you what happened !

              1. M-80 (Explosive Energy Movement) 2:26
              2. Life Is A Bullet   4:05  
              3. Time and Time Again   2:58  
              4. Walking Thru Barbed Wire     3:04  
              5. Decompression Period             3:59 
              6. Born With Nothing, Die With Everything     3:49              
              7. She Loves Me Not  3:29         
              8. Singular Indestructible Droid 3:48              
              9. Black Clouds     4:01  
            10. Code of Energy 4:04  
            11. lovehatetragedy  3:11


Have a listen to "She Loves Me Not" if you've never heard of it, or if you just wanna feel nostalgic about it.



Note: The idea for this entry came when I was rummaging through my old stuffs before moving into my new house.  I can’t believe I kept quite a handful of audio cassettes with me. Expect more entries to come, then!

3 comments:

  1. Ayah dah belasah aku sebab tak dapat 8A hari tu. Kau takyah nak bohong pembaca la. Anyways, 1986 tahun ayam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aku terlepas setahun dari tahun ayam. moral of the story: Tuhan sayangkan aku. Belasah? kau tak payah nak kencing la..

      Delete
  2. ngerfan!ngerfan! jgn dok auta bagi satu donia tahu!!

    ReplyDelete

Say what?

Related Posts with Thumbnails